Saturday, October 20, 2007

Gospel of the Dead

Another great find from the interlibrary loan. Gospel of the Dead by Kim Paffenroth covers the Romero zombie films pretty much. He does a fantastic job of summarizing all the movies and relating them to Dante's Circles of Hell. I found a lot of revolutionary readings for these films that I found fascinating. Paffenroth seems to be happy to find the societal messages in Romero's films and even the Dawn of the Dead remake. It actually added more depth to the remake than I had seen. For instance the optimistic view of the strength of love; a theme that is often missing in the Romero films. He also reminded me of futile attempt to domesticate the zombie in Day of the dead, which I think will support my argument very nicely.

BTW I made a bibliography, even though I haven't written the thing yet. I had to make it for the proposal to the ICFA. I hope it gets accepted. I really feel like I know my zombie stuff now.

No comments: